Going To Grandparent’s House!!!

September 13th, 2010 by Michelle

In early June of this summer, Paige, Grace, Faith, and I went to visit our grandparents, Nonnie and Uh-Oh. We arrived on a Thursday night with our parents and brothers. They planned to stay with us until Sunday afternoon. When we got there, we were greeted with the smell of warm cookies, fresh out of the oven! Yum! After visiting for awhile, we unpacked the car and took our things inside.

One thing that we had been planning on doing when we were there was to actually complete four whole quilts in a little over a week. Nonnie asked us if we would like to just go to bed and start work on the quilt the next day or start that night. We all agreed that we wanted to get going on the quilts that night. So we did.

Each of the four girls completed one square that night, before deciding (at about eleven o’clock) that it was time for bed.

The next morning, after we ate breakfast, we continued working on the quilts.

My brothers  (who are not very interested in sewing) entertained themselves with Legos.

The men had gone out on the boat to go fishing, and by late afternoon, they were back again. It looked like they had really enjoyed themselves! We pretty much continued to sew all day. It was really fun!!! Towards the evening of the day, we had a party for Faith and Uncle J.

They were both born on the same day, so they usually celebrate together. We had a beautiful cake that Nonnie, my sisters, and I  made. It not only looked good, but it tasted good too!

Anyway, the party was a lot of fun! We decided to stop sewing for a while and we watched Horatio Hornblower. Then, we all went to bed. It had been a great day! When we woke up in the morning, we continued our work on our quilts.

Then we decided to take a break so that we could get all dressed and ready. We were going to get to go to a Little House on the Prairie play… starring Mellisa Gilbert!!!

So we had a good drive over there and we arrived at Bass Hall in time, but then, a problem arose. Somehow, in the rush to get out of the door, we forgot to bring the tickets with us! Oops! :-) Fortunately, Nonnie was able to get some more by showing them her card that she purchased the other tickets with. Yeah! We got up to our seats with our tickets in hand! As we sat down, a man came up to us and asked where Paige was and if Nonnie had told her about the surprise yet. Nonnie said she hadn’t, and as soon as he left she proceeded to tell us what was going on.

Nonnie said that she had recently written a letter to Mellisa Gilbert and just thanked her for being such a great actress. Then she told her about Paige’s experience with cancer. In her reply, she said that she wanted to meet Paige and her family!!! We were all so excited! It was like a dream. So was the play. We sat up really high and used binoculars to see things up close. I loved being  that high up! You could see everything that was going on. The play was wonderful to watch! I loved the singing. My favorite part  was when Mellisa Gilbert did a jig with the actress who portrayed Laura in the play. After it was over, we headed down to see the movie star, Mellisa Gilbert. It was so neat. She was really nice! She talked with us for a few minutes and before we left, she gave Paige a present and she gave each of us four girls a bracelet that she personally put on our wrists!! Here’s a photo of the bracelets:

We got a few pictures, but not as many as we wanted because of the excitement of everything.

Afterward, we ate at a fancy restaurant called The Riata.

It turned out to be one of my favorite days ever!

The next day, Sunday, we got up fairly early and went to church. After that, we went to eat lunch at Souper Salad. It was good food. When we returned to our grandparents house, Dad, Mom, Ben, and Bradley started to pack their stuff up. We said our goodbyes and they left in the late afternoon. We went back to sewing for a little bit and then Uh-oh took us out to get ice cream at The Ice Cream Place!!!

On Monday, we mostly spent the day sewing, but we also watched movies that we got at the video rental place while we sewed, so that was fun. Then, in the late afternoon, we went swimming! We went to Sonic for dinner and then went home to watch a few movies.

On Tuesday we went to the new remodeled museum. It was really neat! There was an exhibit on Galileo that was really cool. It showed all the things he experimented on and created. He was a smart man. We also watched an IMAX movie about sharks….I think Grace liked that the most. Anyway, we had a really great time at the museum, but we wanted to get back to sewing so that we would finish in time. Plus, it was a lot of fun as well!

We also went to the Dallas World Aquarium. It was so neat!! They had so many different animals to see. While we were there, we were around a lot of birds, and one bird perched itself on Faith’s shoulder. This is what it looked like:

As you can imagine, she was really surprised! It was  cool!

The shark walkway was soooooo awesome. Everywhere you looked, you saw sharks. It was an amazing experience, and comforting to know that they were contained in glass!

I’d never seen a tree quite like this before, so I knew that I should probably take a picture of it because I might not see one like it again.

These poisonous frogs were amazing to watch! I used macro on the camera to get these  close up shots.

I think my favorite animal that I saw there would have to be the seahorses. They were totally cool! I could watch them for hours! I also love birds, and there were really beautiful ones there. Here are three that I thought were neat looking:

The crocodiles were HUGE!

This was the pretty waterfall that you saw when you walked in. It was breathtaking!



We went home after awhile and keep working on our quilts while we watched a movie. The actual quilting part was the hardest part, but after we got that down, we were good to go. Uh-oh took us fishing on his boat and we had a lot of  fun. I caught a fish! It was a pretty big one too! I also drove the boat. It was great to feel the wind in my hair and have water drops splashed on my face. We went to Spring Creek Bar-B-Que after fishing on the boat. That is our tradition. We spent the afternoon resting and doing a little work on the quilts. It was cool to see that they were almost completed! When Friday came, we worked most of the day to ensure that we would finish before we left the next day. But we did take a few breaks to watch a few movies. When I finally finished mine at about 12:30 p.m., I was so happy!!!!!!! I saw it go from this,

to this,


You get such an uplifting feeling when you finish a project that you started. I am getting that feeling again now that I have finally finished writing my blog! Sorry it took me so long to publish this, Nonnie & Uh-Oh. Hope you enjoy! I had a great time with y’all this summer!!!!!!!!



Posted in Fun At Nonnie And Uh-oh's, Trip to Fort Worth

10 Responses

  1. Marie

    Sounds like you had a lot of fun! i am going to join you next summer!!!!!! How many movies did you watch?

  2. Paige

    I enjoyed all the details!=) The pictures were awesome, too!

  3. Ali O

    Wow, It looks like you had a lot of fun. And I love the princess shirts!!!

  4. Ali O

    Oh and thanks for writing so soon!

  5. Michelle


  6. Michelle

    It was fun! I’m glad we can all match together with our princess shirts!

  7. Michelle

    You are welcome! I need to write more!

  8. Michelle

    We did have fun! I’m looking forward to it! I honestly have no clue as to how many movies we watched! I know it was a lot though!

  9. Nonnie

    Wow! I am absolutely impressed, Michelle! I give you an A+! Paige, you’re right because the photos were amazing! Every one of them was perfect. And how many movies did we watch? I have no idea, either! We had a great time, though, and I will always treasure this week as one of the best in my entire life. I still can’t believe we finished four quilts in a little over a week. My granddaughters worked so hard! What shall we do next year? Thanks so much for writing your blog, sweetheart, so we could enjoy the time all over again.
    Love forever,

  10. Momma

    Great job, Michelle! What a wonderful week it was! The pictures are awesome!

Leave a Comment

Please note: Comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.